Thursday, November 19

Black Dog – Led Zeppelin – Harmony


Black Dog – Led Zeppelin – Harmony
Listen to the song HERE.


Harmony?
Hmmm? Harmony? I’m not quite sure how to talk about harmony with this song. It doesn’t use chord changes in the traditional sense. All the  harmony is implied by the lead guitar and bass melodic lines. As stated  yesterday, they pretty much playing A blues scales, which pretty alternates between A and E chords. In the final guitar solo, the guitar finally kicks in actual chord changes and plays these power chords...

A5...G5...C5...A5
D5...C5...A5

...sort of, that is.

Counterpoint!
The power of the song’s harmony lies within the counterpoint and mirrored lines of the bass and guitar. The lack of an actual rhythm guitar track adds to its rawness. The song, distortion and all, is really rather bare. It would be an interesting exercise to map out what they are playing with no distortion, but then again, that would defeat the whole purpose of this song. :)

Go write something with counterpoint.

~Shane


PS. Remember, I could evaluate one of your songs this Friday if you submit it HERE.

PPS. Also, please vote in the new poll. (Email me if there is a song you want me to include in the poll!)

- - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - -

Black Dog – Led Zeppelin

(verse)
Hey, hey, mama said the way you move, gon’ make you sweat, gon’ make you groove
A-ha child, way you shake that thing, gon’ make you burn, gon’ make you sting
Hey, hey, baby when you walk that way, watch your heartache drip, can’t keep away

Oh yeah...ah, ah...

I gotta roll, can’t stand still, got a flaming heart, can’t get my fill
Eyes that shine, burning red, dreams of you all through my head

Ah, ah...

(bridge)
Hey baby, whoa baby, pretty baby
Darling give it to me now
Hey baby, whoa baby, pretty baby
Move the way you’re doing now

(verse)
Didn’t take too long ‘fore I found out what people mean by down and out
Spent my money, took my car, started telling her friends she gon’ be a star
I don’t know, but I’ve been told a big-legged woman ain’t go no soul

Oh yeah, ah, ah...

All I ask for, all I pray, steady rolling woman gonna come my way
Need a woman gonna hold my hand, won’t tell me no lies, make me a happy man

Ah, ah...

-        - - - - - - - - - -

No comments: